As an Eagle Scout, I still try to always “Be Prepared.” Now days, there’s another group of people that also follow the same motto. They are called Preppers. With their increase in popularity, we decided to do a Preppers Segment this spring. And we wanted to do it on some gear we all could use. Gear that Preppers would want to have in their “bug out” bag. So if crap hits the fan, you can just grab your bag and bug out.
The products that we received are a high power flashlight from Nite Ize, a compact all in one radio, from Eton, a larger field radio from Eton, and a large 10000 mAh power bank from Enerplex. The flashlight is the Nite Ize Inova T4R, an LED lithion ion high powered flashlight. The portable all-in-one is the Eton FRX5. It’s a radio with weather band and a built-in flashlight, and can be changed via cord, batteries, solar, and hand crank. It can also be used to charge your cellphone. The Eton Field Radio is a larger radio, that does not have all of the charging options, but includes a shortwave radio. Last but not least is the Enerplex Jumpr Slate Power Bank. It is a large 10,000 mAh battery pack. This will be able to charge your phone multiple times. So if you find yourself off the grid for a couple weeks, you’re still covered for your communication.
We will start with the review of the Nite Ize Inova T4R flashlight. Next will be the Eton FRX5, followed by the Eton Field Radio. Last, but not least, will be the review of the Enerplex Jumpr Slate Power Bank. So make sure to check back over the next couple of weeks for the rest of the reviews.
The Nite Ize Inova T4R is a great high power LED Lithion Ion flashlight. Rated at up to 571 lumens, it’s definitely bright! The hard aluminum is very durable. It’s water resistant. And it has multiple brightness settings. MSRP is a reasonable $149.
Features and specs:
· LED Color: White
· Lumens: High - 571 | Medium - 178 | Low - 27
· Run Time: High 1 hour 50 minutes | Medium 7 hours | Low 50 hours
· Effective Range (up to): 728ft (222m)
· Battery Type: 1 Rechargeable INOVA Lithium Ion battery included - rechargeable hundreds of times
· Recharging Time: 3 hours for full recharge
· Tactical Mid-Body Switch activates High, Medium, Low, Strobe, and Momentary High Modes
· T4R Kit Includes:
o T4R LED Flashlight
o INOVA Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery
o Low-Profile Charger - Spring loaded rollers hold flashlight securely while offering ease of removal and insertion - with 2 mounting fasteners
o Quality AC Power Supply - 100v - 240v / Interchangeable International Plug compatible (Click here for more details)
o DC / Vehicle Power Supply - ensures secure connection to DC vehicle receptacles. Built-in fuse provides electronic protection.
· Individually laser engraved with a serial number for identification
· Impact-Resistant Head protects optical system
· Mineral Glass optical window has a double-sided anti-reflective coating and a Teflon® seal to withstand environmental pressures
· High-powered energy efficient 33,700 hour LED
· Electronically controlled for uniform light output
· Patented optical system - machined aluminum reflector for optimal thermal management and beam projection.
· Uniform focused spot with flood beam pattern
· Aerospace-Grade Aluminum Body from solid bar stock with military-spec, Type III hard coat anodized finish
· Aggressive knurling for positive grip
· Color Available: Black
· Shockproof, crushproof, and water-resistant construction
· O-Ring ensures seal integrity and threads are anodized for reliability
· Dimensions (Length x Diameter): 7.90" (20.32cm) x 1.10" (2.80cm) | 1.40" (3.56cm) Head Diameter
· Weight: 8.81oz | 250g
· Limited Lifetime Warranty USA
The Nite Ize T4R High-Powered LED Flashlight came in a nice looking printed box with photos of the product with its features and specs. Materials used in the construction is mostly aluminum. Quality of materials was excellent, as was the fit and finish. Also included was the wall and car charger.
The Nite Ize T4R was easy to get charged. I loved the design of the charger. Just slide in the T4R and the two contact points on the base make contact with the two contact points on the flashlight. And the indicator light will let you know when it’s fully charged. Using it was just as simple. The rubber power button will turn on the power as well as take you through the difference power settings and strobe.
The Nite Ize T4R is made from a solid bar stock, and it shows. It is one serious flashlight. It feels very solid in hand and well made. Unscrewing the rear cap gives access to the user replaceable battery. I saw there is also a rubber ring around the end of the threads to seal water out of the battery compartment.
And this is where my confusion lies. According to the specs, the Nite Ize T4R is only IPX4 rated for water resistance. This means it is only rated water safe with splashes. While being built like a tank, the water rating would be its weak link. Being rated against splashes is all that’s really needed. I just expected a bit more with its superb build quality. And I’m surprised it isn’t rated higher, especially with the rear rubber seal ring. Thanks to the rubber sear ring, I personally would not have any concerns with using it in foul weather or around water.
Using the Nite Ize T4R was a joy. The flashlight was easy to cycle through the brightness settings. And boy was it bright! I was also glad to see that the battery life was better than its rated times. I actually got 2 hours and 26 minutes on the highest brightness setting! I would have no problems relying on the Nite Ize T4R on a daily basis, or in my bug out bag. Based on its design, features, quality and performance, the Nite Ize Inova T4R has earned our Highly Recommended Award. For more info and complete specs, check out their website at www.niteize.com.